I am not a really good wife in the traditional sense.
It’s cool, though. G recognizes that my major contributions to our marriage are: setting the robo vacuum, cooking, and giving some major cheek. G is a far more domesticated creature than I could ever be and for which I am very very grateful. I never have to whinge (complain) about dirty clothes on the floor, nag about a smelly bin (trash) or that the lawn needs mowing. Hell, the man even likes to iron.
It’s no wonder then that my friends refer to G as the G-tronic 2000, and I know I am a damn lucky girl to have the only model.
On top of the G-tronic’s many other talents, he is, of course, a very good cook. These Spiced Lamb and Bean Tacos are my absolute favourite from the G-tronic food arsenal. I love that this is a build your own dinner situation with a rich meaty filling, served in a crispy taco shell, topped off with easy peasy salad cream that adds just enough sweetness and a vinegary kick to achieve taste bud nirvana.
If you have pre made salad cream at the ready, by all means use it. My cheater’s recipe is for my American counterparts that can’t get their hands on the real stuff. I read that the closest American equivalent is Miracle whip; from memory, it does perhaps has a similar flavour profile, but lacks the essential pourability factor that make salad cream so bloody addictive.
Enjoy with compliments from Chef G!
G’s Spiced Lamb & Bean Tacos
For Lamb and bean filling
1tbsp vegetable oil
1 large white onion, minced
1 pinch of salt
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
500g lamb mince
2tsp harissa paste
2tbsp tomato paste
1 heaped tsp ground cumin
1tsp dried oregano
1tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp ground all spice
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tin haricot beans, rinsed and drained
1tsp red wine vinegar
½ cup red wine
salt and black pepper to taste
For Cheater’s Salad Cream
3 tbps mayonnaise
1tsp white wine vinegar
½ tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp white sugar or to taste
Hard taco shells, as needed and warm
2 cups cabbage, shredded
300g extra mature cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup coriander, chopped
10-15 cherry tomatoes, quartered
5 spring onions, finely sliced
lime wedges, as needed
Method for Lamb and bean filling
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the minced onion and a pinch of salt and sauté for about 2 minutes or until the onions have softened.
2. Toss in the minced garlic, harissa and tomato paste and cook for another minute.
3. Add the lamb mince to the pan and use a spoon to break up the lamb into small pieces as it browns. When the lamb mince is about half browned, add all the spices and the red wine vinegar.
4. Once the lamb mince is about 90% cooked, add the red wine and haricot beans. Cooked for another 4-5 minutes or until the beans are tender and all the lamb mince is no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Keep the filling warm until ready to serve with all the fixings.
Cheater’s salad cream method
1. In a small bowl, whisk all the salad cream ingredients very well.
2. Allow to stand for a few minutes in the fridge before serving.